New Jersey Alimony Attorneys
Marlton & Northfield Lawyers Assisting with Establishing or Modifying Alimony
After a divorce, one spouse may be required to pay the other alimony, which is intended to provide financial support to a spouse during and/or after a divorce, until they are able to support themselves on their own. In most alimony cases, the amount you are ordered to pay (or receive) will usually reflect the lifestyle that both of you enjoyed during the marriage.
Why Choose Our Alimony Lawyers?
- Free initial consultation
- Video consultations available
- 60+ years of combined legal experience
- Multi-lingual services in English, Spanish, and Portuguese
- Same-day, after-hours, and weekend appointments available
- Licensed in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Washington D.C., Virginia, and North Carolina
If you are seeking alimony or if your former spouse is requesting that you pay alimony, we highly encourage you to consult with one of our alimony lawyers in Marlton or Northfield at Burnham Douglass Attorneys at Law. We can fight to protect your rights and ensure the payments are fair for both parties involved.
How Alimony Is Awarded in New Jersey
To decide on the amount and duration of alimony, a judge will consider:
- The needs of the requesting spouse
- The duration of the marriage
- The physical and emotional health of each spouse
- The income, earning capacity, education level and employment history of each spouse
- The standard of living that both spouses enjoyed during the marriage
- The time and expense required to obtain education or training for the receiving spouse until he or she can become self-supporting
- Parental responsibilities
- Each spouse’s financial and non-financial contributions to the marriage
If you are the spouse ordered to pay alimony, these payments will be tax deductible. If you are the spouse who receives the alimony, you will have to report these payments as income.
Types of Alimony
Any one of several different types of alimony may be ordered in your case, depending on the circumstances of your situation.
- Temporary alimony: This is awarded to low-earning or unemployed spouses to help cover living expenses during divorce proceedings.
- Limited duration alimony: This is awarded when economic assistance is needed for a limited time.
- Reimbursement alimony: This is awarded to a spouse who provided support to the other while they pursued advanced education.
- Rehabilitative alimony: This is awarded to one spouse while they work on becoming self-supporting.
Contact Us for a Free, Confidential Consultation
At Burnham Douglass Attorneys at Law, we have 60+ years of legal experience to our names, and we offer a free case evaluation to every prospective client considering legal services. If you would like to learn more about how alimony works in New Jersey or get any of your alimony-related questions answered promptly, thoroughly, and honestly, call our law firm today! Our offices are conveniently located in Marlton and Northfield, New Jersey, allowing us to serve clients throughout South Jersey, including Atlantic County, Burlington County, and Camden County.
Philip S. Burnham, II View Profile
Michelle J. Douglass View Profile
Dr. Keith W. Diener View Profile
Brooke Knorr View Profile
Michael O'Brien View Profile
Monica Chris-Luca View Profile
Maria Andreina Fernandez View Profile
Maria Alexandra Fernandez View Profile
Jennifer Agnoni View Profile
Gabriella Zito View Profile
Diane Burnham View Profile
I could not have been more pleased with the firm or our result.- Michelle M.C.
Both Michelle and Phil made me feel like I was a family member they were representing.- Robert K. Petroski
After meeting Michelle, she gave me the confidence I needed to fight for what I deserved.- Maria Marino
I never knew compassion, value and honesty could exist in an attorney until I met Philip.- Dan
She was always very prompt in her follow-up and developed a winning strategy for me.- James Runyon
Michelle Douglass is a straight shooter and fights for your rights.- Dave Daniels
Phil's service exceeded my expectations and I found him to be more responsive and sensitive to my situation than the previous lawyer I had used.- Abby
Ms. Douglass always returned my calls promptly as if I were the most valuable client among the many she represents.- Heather
I was helped by Michelle every step of the way, with guidance and answers. She is remarkable and I love her.- Joanne Imperatore
Ms. Douglass, I got a feeling of genuine concern, unlike that of the prior attorneys I had spoken to.- Kathy Jen
We approach each client with compassion, empathy and care.
We have an in-depth understanding of the law and how it relates to your unique case.
We will provide you with the personal attention your case deserves.
We offer video, after hour and weekend appointments for your convenience.
We deliver high-quality legal work because we handle select cases.
We have been serving the needs of our clients for over 30 years and are dedicated to your success.