New Jersey PIP Lawyers
How Personal Injury Protection Works in “No-Fault” States Like New Jersey
After a car accident, many people assume that the at-fault driver’s insurance company will be responsible for covering the injured party’s resulting medical bills. Under New Jersey law, this is not the case.
New Jersey is one of several “no-fault” states when it comes to auto accidents, meaning drivers may only seek compensation for medical expenses through their own Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance in the event of a collision, regardless of who is at fault.
If you were injured in an auto accident either as a driver, passenger, or pedestrian, a knowledgeable New Jersey PIP attorney from our legal team can help you file a PIP claim to maximize your chances of securing every penny of your entitled compensation.
Countless clients have trusted our firm for the following reasons:
- Free initial consultation and same-day appointments
- After-hours and weekend appointments available upon request
- 60+ years of combined experience serving New Jersey residents
- American Society of Legal Advocates “Top 100 Lawyers” inclusion
- Nation’s Top One Percent from the National Association of Distinguished Counsel
- Licensed in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Washington D.C., Virginia, and North Carolina
At Burnham Douglass Attorneys at Law, we are committed to helping clients pursue Personal Injury Protection (PIP) claims after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages, and property damage.
What Are PIP Benefits?
Every driver in the state of New Jersey must purchase Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance with their auto insurance policy, which covers their medical expenses, lost wages, and essential services, as well as funeral and death benefits to a person’s dependents in the event that a driver should lose their life in an accident. PIP benefits are used whenever a person is involved in an accident, regardless of fault or if a person’s vehicle was even involved in the collision. For instance, if a PIP-insured person was injured in a collision while riding as a passenger in someone else’s vehicle, they would still seek compensation through their own PIP insurance.
PIP benefits cover multiple parties, including:
- The owner of the insured vehicle
- Passengers of a PIP-insured vehicle
- Blood or marriage-related household members of a PIP-insured vehicle
Medical expenses that exceed a person’s deductible will be subject to an 80/20 copayment provision up to $5,000. In other words, once you have payed your deductible, PIP insurance pays for 80% of your medical bills up to a total of $5,000, and you are responsible for the remaining 20%. Any additional medical expenses will be completely covered by PIP insurance, up to a standard maximum of $250,000 or more depending on the terms of your policy.
Can My Insurance Company Stop Paying My Benefits?
Under New Jersey law, PIP insurance providers are legally entitled to have you examined by a doctor of their choice to determine if you are eligible to continue to receive benefits. In the event that their chosen doctor determines that you have healed from your treatment, or that your injuries were so serious that additional treatment will not provide a considerable benefit, your insurance company may notify you of a termination of your benefits. You do not have to accept this decision. An experienced attorney from our firm can help you fight to continue to receive your entitled treatment.
At Burnham Douglass Attorneys at Law, our New Jersey PIP lawyers have handled thousands of PIP arbitrations on behalf of injured individuals, as well as anesthesiologists, chiropractors, dentists, diagnostic facilities, pain management specialists, physical therapists, hospitals, surgeons, surgery centers, and medical supply companies. Through negotiations with the involved insurance companies appeals, and litigation, we are prepared to go the distance on your behalf in pursuit of the results you need.
We represent clients throughout South Jersey, including those in Atlantic County, Burlington County and Camden County.
To schedule a free consultation with a trusted PIP attorney on our team, submit an online contact form here or give us a call at 856-751-5505.