Essex County Family Law Lawyers
Essex County, New Jersey is in the heart of the New York metropolitan area. Some of the most populated and diverse municipalities are in Essex County. Newark, the Oranges, Bloomfield, and Montclair are active communities ranging from working class to more affluent. Essex County boasts sound school systems and other attractions, making it an ideal place to live for many families.
What Are Our Family Law Practice Areas?
At Burnham Douglass, our team is proud to offer residents in Essex County comprehensive family law services. We represent clients in a wide range of family law matters, including:
- Adoption: Our firm has been uniting families through adoption for over 60 years. We provide legal guidance with international, domestic, stepparent, foster parent adoption, adoptions by same-sex couples, and adoptions via an agency.
- Child custody: In New Jersey, child custody arrangements can include sole physical custody, joint physical custody, sole legal custody, and joint legal custody. We work closely with families to help determine the most beneficial arrangement for their situation.
- Child support: Whether you need to create a fair child support agreement, enforce child support, or modify an existing support order, our lawyers will protect your best interests. We can help you calculate the costs of medical care, extracurricular activities, college expenses, and other childcare costs.
- College contribution: New Jersey courts require that you help pay for your children’s college costs if it is within your ability. This area of divorce can become contentious when spouses disagree, making it essential to have legal counsel.
- Divorce: The New Jersey divorce process generally allows marriages to end with a fault-based divorce, a no-fault divorce, or an annulment. Any type of divorce can be complex, especially with legal issues involving child custody, distribution of assets, and financial support.
- Domestic violence: Family law matters involving domestic violence are some of the most sensitive and complicated. Our team advocates for clients in domestic violence cases involving physical, psychological, emotional, and economic harm.
- Emancipation: Emancipation occurs when a child is no longer legally considered to be under the care and dependence of a parent or eligible for any parental financial support. We represent clients in court for consideration of all circumstances of the family and the child’s best interests.
- Parenting time: Parenting time and visitation rights are critical. Whether you are single or going through a divorce, we protect your rights when establishing custody, parenting time, or visitation agreements.
- Modifications: Family circumstances change, and our lawyers are prepared to help with any divorce modification. Common modifications include alimony, business division, child custody, spousal support, and parenting time.
- Prenuptial agreements: Many couples use prenuptial agreements to address the distribution of their marital assets and debts in case the marriage dissolves in the future. We help clients draft, change, and challenge prenuptial agreements.
- Relocation: Divorced parents may relocate for various reasons, including employment, remarriage, or a more affordable cost of living. New Jersey relocation disputes require the representation of a skilled family law lawyer.
- Visitation rights: Many family law cases involve emotional matters, such as child custody and visitation disputes. We can help create or resolve any dispute regarding your visitation rights as a parent or grandparent.
Our Essex County family law lawyers understand that quality legal representation starts with a close relationship with each client. We take the time to get to know our clients and their family needs.
Why Choose Burnham Douglass?
Burnham Douglass has over 70 years of combined experience and has earned a reputation of being top advocators. We take our responsibilities seriously when clients seek our legal guidance. Our Essex County family law lawyers can take over the details of the legal process while protecting your rights and best interests.
Essex County Family Law Lawyers at Burnham Douglass Help Clients with Complex Family Law Matters
Our dedicated Essex County family law lawyers at Burnham Douglass can help you with your legal issue. Call us at 856-751-5505 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation. Located in Marlton and Northfield, New Jersey, we serve clients in South Jersey, including Evesham Township, Cherry Hill, Camden County, Burlington County, and Atlantic City.