Race Discrimination Lawyer in New Jersey
Fighting All Forms of Racism in the Workplace
Our legal team at Burnham Douglass Attorneys At Law believes that racial discrimination in the workplace is unacceptable. That is why we are dedicated to using our legal skills and extensive knowledge of the law to serve clients who want to take action for discriminatory treatment. Whether your co-workers or supervisor discriminates against you due to your race, gender, or religion, our attorneys will deploy our firm’s full resources to take legal action to fight racist policies and practices.
What is Considered Race Discrimination?
According to the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, race discrimination occurs when an applicant or employee is treated unfavorably because they are a certain race or have personal characteristics associated with race. This can include things like hair texture, skin color, and even certain facial features.
There are different forms of racial discrimination, which can cover:
- Direct discrimination: This is when someone is treated differently due to their race, ethnicity, or national origin.
- Indirect discrimination: If a rule or policy is created by an employer that targets a specific racial group, this can be considered indirect discrimination.
- Racial harassment: This can involve offensive remarks about a person's race or ethnicity.
- Discrimination by association: It can also occur if a person is treated unfavorably because they are married to or associated with someone of a certain race or skin color.
It is also important to note that race discrimination claims can still be filed if the victim and the person who inflicted the discrimination are the same race or skin color.
Know Your Rights in the Workplace
The New Jersey Law Against Discrimination (NJLAD) and the 1964 Civil Rights Act prohibits discrimination based on a person’s:
- National Origin
- Familial Status
- Marital/Civil Union Status
- Domestic Partnership Status
- Sexual Orientation
- Gender Identity
- Atypical Hereditary Cellular or Blood Trait
- Genetic Information
- Lability for Military Service
- Mental or Physical Disability
Examples of Race Discrimination
Race discrimination at work can occur from more than just employment actions. Harassment, verbal or physical abuse, and intimidation based on your race are all examples of factors that can constitute a hostile work environment.
Other examples of racially-motivated discrimination include:
- Using racial slurs or jokes, including sending racist memes
- Making inappropriate comments about someone's race
- Making job assignments based on an employee's race
- Failing to hire someone of a specific race to maintain "the look" and "culture" of a work environment
- Enacting rules about hairstyles that target a specific race
- Having English-only policies or rules about an employee's accent, if they are not essential to the job function
- Showing preferential treatment or unfair criticism based on race
Some examples may be more apparent, while others may be more subtle. If you feel targeted because of your race or ethnic origin, keep extensive documentation and records of your experience, and discuss your case with an attorney.
Consult with Our Race Discrimination Attorneys
If you are tired of enduring a racist work environment, then please know that our legal team is here to help you uphold all of your rights under the law. We are familiar with the laws that are designed to protect workers from racial discrimination, and we will vigorously pursue all forms of compensation you are entitled to for lost wages, emotional distress, legal fees, and more.
Philip S. Burnham, II View Profile
Michelle J. Douglass View Profile
Dr. Keith W. Diener View Profile
Brooke Knorr View Profile
Michael O'Brien View Profile
Monica Chris-Luca View Profile
Maria Andreina Fernandez View Profile
Maria Alexandra Fernandez View Profile
Jennifer Agnoni View Profile
Gabriella Zito View Profile
Diane Burnham View Profile
I am forever thankful for the legal help Ms. Michelle and Mr. Burnham did for my case.- Samantha V.
Michelle and Phil are excellent attorneys.- Paige B.
I am forever thankful for the legal help Ms. Michelle and Mr. Burnham did for my case.- S.V.
I could not have been more pleased with the firm or our result.- Michelle M.C.
Both Michelle and Phil made me feel like I was a family member they were representing.- Robert K. Petroski
After meeting Michelle, she gave me the confidence I needed to fight for what I deserved.- Maria Marino
I never knew compassion, value and honesty could exist in an attorney until I met Philip.- Dan
She was always very prompt in her follow-up and developed a winning strategy for me.- James Runyon
Michelle Douglass is a straight shooter and fights for your rights.- Dave Daniels
Phil's service exceeded my expectations and I found him to be more responsive and sensitive to my situation than the previous lawyer I had used.- Abby
We approach each client with compassion, empathy and care.
We have an in-depth understanding of the law and how it relates to your unique case.
We will provide you with the personal attention your case deserves.
We offer video, after hour and weekend appointments for your convenience.
We deliver high-quality legal work because we handle select cases.
We have been serving the needs of our clients for over 30 years and are dedicated to your success.