New Jersey Child Custody Attorneys
Experienced Custody Lawyers in Marlton & Northfield
If you are getting divorced and worried about child custody issues that need to be sorted out, then don’t hesitate to reach out to our dedicated legal team at Burnham Douglass Attorneys At Law for guidance. We understand the importance of protecting your parental rights so that you can remain in your child’s life as much as possible. We can provide you with compassionate legal advice and guidance to make sure you are prepared to protect you and your child’s best interests.
We can assist with a wide range of custody-related matters:
- Modifying a custody order, such as due to a relocation
- Grandparent visitation rights
- Parental alienation
- Enforcement of custody orders
- Visitation rights
- Disputes over decisions affecting a child
- Issues of abuse and domestic violence
No family law case is too complex for our skilled lawyers, and when it comes to child custody disputes, you can count on us to be by your side to answer important questions and to explain all of your options under the law so that you can pursue the best possible outcome for your family.
Why Choose Our Child Custody Attorneys?
We possess extensive knowledge of child custody proceedings and the various ways to effectively protect your family’s interests. We can help create a child custody arrangement that is reasonable and agreeable to the courts and the child’s other parent.
Clients in New Jersey turn to our legal professionals to handle their custody battles for the following reasons and more:
- We are licensed in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, D.C., Virginia, and North Carolina
- Our firm has more than 60 years of combined experience
- We work one-on-one with our clients and treat their issues with urgency
- Our firm offers free consultations for family law cases
- We speak Spanish and Portuguese
- We care deeply about our clients' concerns and the work we do to protect their rights
How Do Courts Determine Child Custody?
If parents are able to agree to custody terms, then the courts will most likely approve their plan as long as the child's best interests are protected. However, if parents are unable to come to an agreement regarding custody, a judge will make that decision based on a variety of factors.
Courts in New Jersey determine custody based on:
- The physical and mental health of both parents
- The child’s relationship with both parents
- The distance between the parents’ homes
- The stability of each home environment
- If the child has any special needs
- The child’s preference (depending on their age)
- Whether the parents are capable of cooperating with each other
Types of Custody in New Jersey
In New Jersey, there are two main types of custody: physical custody and legal custody.
Child custody arrangements in New Jersey can include:
- Sole legal custody: When one parent is able to make major life decisions over a child without having to consult the other parent.
- Joint legal custody: When both parents share the responsibility of making major decisions for a child and agree to consult each other on most decisions.
- Sole physical custody (residential custody): When a child lives with one parent most of the time, but is able to spend some time with the other parent.
- Joint physical custody (residential custody): When the child resides with both parents and has to split his/her time in between two households.
Legal custody refers to which parent makes the decisions concerning the health of the child, schooling of the child, etc. Residential custody refers to which parent gets to share a living space with the child. Our firm will work closely with you to help determine the ideal arrangement for your situation.
We Are Ready to Handle Your Child Custody Case
We know that custody arrangements are extremely difficult and often highly contested – but we can help you successfully navigate through these emotionally charged matters. For more information about child custody and how our seasoned custody attorneys in Marlton or Northfield can serve your legal needs, please contact our firm today.
Call (856) 512-1461 to set up a free case consultation with Burnham Douglass Attorneys At Law. We will listen to your case and provide our honest assessment so you have an idea of what you can reasonably expect.
Philip S. Burnham, II View Profile
Michelle J. Douglass View Profile
Dr. Keith W. Diener View Profile
Brooke Knorr View Profile
Michael O'Brien View Profile
Monica Chris-Luca View Profile
Maria Andreina Fernandez View Profile
Maria Alexandra Fernandez View Profile
Jennifer Agnoni View Profile
Gabriella Zito View Profile
Diane Burnham View Profile
I am forever thankful for the legal help Ms. Michelle and Mr. Burnham did for my case.- Samantha V.
Michelle and Phil are excellent attorneys.- Paige B.
I am forever thankful for the legal help Ms. Michelle and Mr. Burnham did for my case.- S.V.
I could not have been more pleased with the firm or our result.- Michelle M.C.
Both Michelle and Phil made me feel like I was a family member they were representing.- Robert K. Petroski
After meeting Michelle, she gave me the confidence I needed to fight for what I deserved.- Maria Marino
I never knew compassion, value and honesty could exist in an attorney until I met Philip.- Dan
She was always very prompt in her follow-up and developed a winning strategy for me.- James Runyon
Michelle Douglass is a straight shooter and fights for your rights.- Dave Daniels
Phil's service exceeded my expectations and I found him to be more responsive and sensitive to my situation than the previous lawyer I had used.- Abby
We approach each client with compassion, empathy and care.
We have an in-depth understanding of the law and how it relates to your unique case.
We will provide you with the personal attention your case deserves.
We offer video, after hour and weekend appointments for your convenience.
We deliver high-quality legal work because we handle select cases.
We have been serving the needs of our clients for over 30 years and are dedicated to your success.